Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Max

Max is our newest member and the youngest of our three dogs. I started out fostering Max, along with his sister. I picked them both up on Oct. 1st, 2010, when they were about 6 weeks old. Randy Grim, founder of Stray Rescue of St. Louis, rescued Max along with his Mom, 2 other brothers and 3 sisters. There were 6 puppies total in the litter. Randy rescued them on the first day of Fall 2010. You can read all about his rescue story here. Max's rescue name was Vasser (explained in his rescue story attached), but we changed it to Max.

When I agreed to foster the 2 puppies, I don't know why, but I didn't expect to get as attached as I did to them. It was so hard. As a foster, you are in charge of finding the puppies the best possible home. Stray Rescue has a website where the dogs, up for adoption, are listed. They also set up adoption events at several local stores for you to attend with your foster dog. These adoption events give your dog a better chance at someone falling in love with them who maybe hasn't looked at the website.

On Sat., Nov. 13th, 2010 we had a home visit set up for each puppy. The home visit for Max went well but they were also interested in another puppy at Stray Rescue and ultimately chose the other puppy. Which was fine with me, lol. By this time I was already very attached. Perrier's home visit went well and she ended up staying with the couple who went on to adopt her. She is now "Tater Tot" and is very happy in her new home with her mom, dad and fur-brother, Dodger. I heard from her new mom right after Christmas and she said she was doing great. :-)

We had one other couple interested in Max the week before Thanksgiving, but they ended up changing their minds since they already had two dogs. We had already been considering keeping Max, and when the second couple backed out, we took that as a sign that we should keep him and we couldn't be happier that we did. 

Max is now about 5 months old and is a typical puppy. He loves to play and has a great appetite, LOL. He scarfs his food down and can't wait for breakfast and dinner. He's also a pretty laid back puppy. He's very smart and learns really quickly. I just adore this dog and am so happy we decided to adopt him. Here are some pictures of Max.

I took this picture of Max the night I brought him home to foster.

This is Max laying on his foster sister the second day I had him. He was sick the second day I had him. I don't know if it was the change of food or location, but he wouldn't eat that day and just layed around. Thankfully the next day he felt better.

Max and Marley (we renamed them because we didn't really like their rescue names Vasser and Perrier) Marley went on to be named Tater Tot, LOL.

Max, out in our back yard.

Max, a week or so after fostering him.

Max out in the yard.

Max sitting on our bed, Nov. 2010

 Max in the kitchen, Nov. 2010

Max and I in front of the tree, Dec. 2010

Max playing with his toys, Jan. 2011

1 comment :

Melissa said...

With a name like Max you can't go wrong! My Max just said "woof" to your Max! :)