Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Ear Tubes for Avery

Back in early August, I took Avery to the doctor for a cold. She's only had one other ear infection in her life, but I'm always concerned about their ears when it comes to colds. Jackson has had quite a few ear infections and I just don't like to risk it. Thankfully, I took her because sure enough, she had a double ear infection. 

After 3 antibiotics, we finally got the infection cleared up, however, there was lingering thick fluid in her ears that her pediatrician was concerned about. He referred us to a Children's ENT to have them take a look.

We had an appointment with the ENT in late September. He said there was definitely fluid there but since there was no infection, he wasn't in a hurry to jump right into surgery. He said considering this was only her second ear infection he'd rather hold off and re-check her ears in 6 weeks and see if the fluid would drain on it's own. So we scheduled a re-check for 6 weeks and we didn't have any flair ups in that time. She has had a runny nose off and on but no ear infections. 

So this past Wednesday afternoon, we went back for her re-check. I was very hopeful that the fluid would be gone and we'd skate by without having to get her ear tubes. Unfortunately that was not the case. The ENT said the fluid, now chronic, was still there and she was probably only hearing muffled sounds at this point instead of hearing clearly like she should be. He was concerned about her speech being delayed and though he said he wouldn't pressure us to do the ear tube surgery, it was likely that the fluid wouldn't end up draining on it's own, especially now that we're in cold and flu season. He said we could wait another 6 weeks and re-check or we could just go ahead and have the procedure done and get it over with, but he wouldn't pressure us either way since the fluid, at this point, wasn't necessarily causing any damage to her ear. 

In my mind, I definitely don't want to take the risk of the fluid causing damage or her getting another ear infection on top of the fluid that's already there. I also don't want to have it cause a speech delay, which I'm somewhat concerned has already happened. She's not really talking much at all at 18 months old and though I know every child goes at their own pace, she's not really saying anything other than a few occasional words here and there. Jackson was a late talker and didn't really start talking until he was 2 1/2, but I just don't want to risk any delay when it could certainly be avoided.  

So November 30th, she will go in to get ear tubes. I realize this is a very common and very quick procedure. I realize the risks are very minimal and the pros definitely outweigh the cons. I realize that so many kids have to have ear tubes and it's very routine... but this is my baby we're talking about. I hate the idea of her having to have anesthesia (even if it is for only around 10 minutes), but I know it needs to be done and I'm praying and confident that she (and I) will do just fine and we'll be very happy we had the procedure done. I hear a lot of great things about it, so I'm hopeful that all will go well.

And because no post is complete without a picture, here are a couple pictures I took of Avery recently, wearing her jammies and my boots! She LOVES shoes and takes every opportunity to wear whoever's shoes are laying around! Ha!

I'll keep you all posted on her surgery and how it all goes.